Following years of denials that he would return to the franchise, Paul Greengrass has shaken up expectation by entering talks for a new Jason Bourne movie with Matt Damon, Deadline reports. Greengrass had said as recently as last year that he’d gone as far as he could go with the no-longer-amnesiac Jason Bourne (hence naming his last movie The Bourne Ultimatum), but that conviction was apparently as steadfast as his camera work: Like a super spy who suddenly remembers he has the power to make easy money, Greengrass is not only confident that he can direct another installment, The Hollywood Reporter says this time he’s also ready to write the script. (“EXT. INDISCERNIBLE BLUR,” he types.)

And according to Deadline, Universal is so happy to have the original Bourne team back, it’s willing to fast-track The Bourne Addendum (or whatever) for the July 16, 2016 release originally occupied by Justin Lin’s follow-up to The Bourne Legacy, and shove aside that Jeremy Renner-led B-team with the promise to develop it as a parallel franchise somewhere down the road. Expect Renner’s Hey, I Didn’t Ask To Be Bourne to slot in the next time Damon and Greengrass decide they’re done again.

Advertisement