Cover albums are a dime a dozen lately. Everyone’s paying tribute to the Grateful Dead, to Neil Young, to whoever. But why not pay tribute to bands that didn’t exist in the first place? This Record Store Day, Father/Daughter Records will issue Faux Real, a compilation of covers of songs originally performed by fake bands. Bent Shapes take on a Mystik Spiral track from Daria, Sadie Dupuis does “Pretend To Be Nice” from Josie And The Pussycats, and The Everywheres take on Jetsons crooner Jet Screamer’s “Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah.” Below, The A.V. Club is streaming one of our favorite tracks from the comp, Potty Mouth’s take on “Take Me Away,” a song originally performed by the band Pink Slip in the Lindsay Lohan version of Freaky Friday. The all-girl Massachusetts act is all over the pop track, making it a perfect blend of real talent playing a fake song from a totally fictional movie.
Faux Real is a Record Store Day exclusive, meaning it’ll be in stores only on April 19. Only 500 copies of the 12-inch were pressed onto yellow transparent vinyl, so get to your local indie retailers early and start digging. Album art and a full tracklist for the record are below.
1. Bent Shapes - "Ow, My Face!" by Mystik Spiral (from Daria)
2. Potty Mouth - “Take Me Away” by Pink Slip (from Freaky Friday)
3. Levek - “Don't Blame the Dynamite” by Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (from The Muppets)
4. Cocktails - “The Dark Side” by Eddie and The Cruisers (from Eddie And The Cruisers)
5. Sadie Dupuis - “Pretend to be Nice” by Josie and The Pussycats (from Josie And The Pussycats)
6. Body Parts - “Stand Out” by Max Goof (from The Goofy Movie)
7. Field Mouse - “That Thing You Do” by The Wonders (from That Thing You Do)
8. The Everywheres - “Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah” by Jet Screamer (from The Jetsons)
9. Radiator Hospital - "How Did I Ever Get So Lucky?" by The Cattanooga Cats (from The Cattanooga Cats)